Master Reading Teacher
The MRT online course is being revised to reflect updated legislative requirements.
Please check back January 2018 for updated cohort enrollment information.
To be eligible for Master Reading Teacher certification, you must:
- hold a Texas teaching certificate,
- have at least 3 years of teaching experience,
- satisfactorily complete the Region 4 course of instruction on the science of teaching children reading in accordance with the Texas Administrative Code,
- satisfactorily complete the Region 4 field-based practicum, and
- perform satisfactorily on the master reading teacher certification exam and complete any other applicable requirements for the certificate.
Applications are submitted electronically. After your application is processed, you can log in to check your status and, when necessary, update your contact information.
To complete the Master Reading Teacher application, you will need the following information:
- Contact information (legal name, phone, address, and e-mail address)
- Social Security Number
- Names, attendance dates, degrees, majors, and minors for all colleges/universities ever attended
- All teaching experience information (school/district names, phone numbers, dates, subjects/grades taught, and supervisor names/phone numbers)
- $50 nonrefundable application fee, payable via credit card or debit card
After submission of the online application, the following documents must be received in the admissions office at least 15 business days prior to the application deadline:
- Official transcripts, in sealed envelopes, from the college/university conferring all degrees (including bachelor's)
- Service record reflecting at least 3 years of teaching experience
- Valid teacher certificate
- Self-addressed, stamped envelope if you would like your transcript(s) returned to you
PLEASE SEND ALL MATERIALS TO:
INSPIRE TEXAS | Educator Certification by Region 4
7145 West Tidwell Road
Houston, Texas 77092
For more information, contact Region 4 Reading/Language Arts Solutions at 713.744.6852 or firstname.lastname@example.org.