Principal Program Overview
INSPIRE TEXAS' 1-year Principal Certification program prepares you to set the leadership tone for teachers and students in your school, and in the community you serve. Coursework and internship activities are designed to broaden your experience and build relationships. By program’s end, you’ll have what it takes to be an effective administrator in the 21st century.
To begin the Principal Certification program, you will need:
- a master’s or other advanced degree from a regionally accredited university with a minimum GPA of 3.0
- a valid Teacher Certificate with at least 2 years of credible teaching experience
- demonstrated leadership skills in professional and community activities
- approval from a certified school principal or assistant principal to serve as your mentor
STEP 1: APPLY
Complete the online application. The application fee is $95 and is non-refundable. Assemble the following documents, to be mailed to us at least 15 days prior to the application deadline.
- Valid Teacher Certificate
- Official transcript(s), in sealed envelopes, of a master’s or other advanced degree program with a minimum 3.0 GPA
- Certified or notarized copy of service record indicating a minimum of 2 years credible teaching experience
- Letter of recommendation from current principal or supervisor (if current position is not campus based) on school or school district letterhead
- Include a self-addressed stamped envelope if you would like your transcript(s) returned to you
PLEASE SEND ALL MATERIALS TO:
INSPIRE TEXAS | Educator Certification by Region 4, 7145 W. Tidwell Rd., Houston, TX 77092 .
NOTE: You have up to 60 days to complete the online application once it is started.
March 2 for April cohort
May 4 for June cohort
September 14 for October cohort
Click Here to Apply
After your application is submitted and documents received, you will be notified via email of your acceptance into the program. When you receive your notification, choose the training date that works best for you.
STEP 2: SELECT COHORT
Inspire Texas’ Principal Certification cohorts are offered four times a year, beginning in January, April, July and October.
STEP 3: TRAIN
You can be certified to become a principal in as little as one year. With more than 200 clock hours of instruction, your training includes topics such as educational leadership, developmental supervision, budget planning and specific preparation for the Principal TExES exam.
Under the guidance of a mentor and your assigned field supervisor, you will also complete a minimum of 160 hours of field experience at an accredited school district, charter or private school.
During your training, you will prepare for the TExES examination to obtain your Standard Principal Certificate.
Courses meet the needs of diverse learning styles. Should further accommodations be necessary for disabilities, please contact our offices at 713.744.6307 or email@example.com
. We will be happy to assist with the appropriate accommodation.
STEP 4: GET CERTIFIED
At the conclusion of your certification training and internship, the final step is successfully passing the TExES Principal Exam. Passing a content area is required by the majority of school districts in Texas. When you have successfully met all the requirements, we will recommend you for the Standard Principal Certification.
More information is available online for TExES exam registration, preparation, and test dates.