Superintendent Program Overview
INSPIRE TEXAS' Superintendent Certification program prepares you to navigate the big picture in running a Texas school district. Through internship assignments, research, required reading, and leadership sessions, you’ll be in a position to make an impact on children in Texas.
To begin the Superintendent Certification program, you will need:
- a valid Standard Principal or Mid-Management Certificate; OR TEA approval to substitute managerial experience in lieu of principal certification. Click here to access the application for TEA approval.
- a master’s or other advanced degree from a regionally accredited university with a minimum GPA of 3.0
- verification of current employment in an administrative job role above the classroom teacher level
- demonstrated leadership skills in professional and community activities
STEP 1: APPLY
Complete the online application. The application fee is $95 and is non-refundable. Assemble the following documents, to be mailed to us at least 15 days prior to the application deadline.
- Official transcript(s), in sealed envelopes, from the college/university conferring a master's degree
- Service record, if applicable
- Letter of reference from the superintendent in your district or designee on district letterhead
- Include a self-addressed stamped envelope if you would like your transcript(s) returned to you
PLEASE SEND ALL MATERIALS TO:
INSPIRE TEXAS | Educator Certification by Region 4, 7145 W. Tidwell Rd., Houston, TX 77092
NOTE: You have up to 60 days to complete the online application once it is started.
Application deadline: September 18, 2017
After your application is submitted and documents received, you will be notified via email of your acceptance into the program.
STEP 2: TRAIN
The Superintendent Certification program, which lasts one year, is a combination of online coursework and six full-day sessions at the Region 4 Aspiring Superintendent & LEADERship & academy. These sessions are conducted by prominent, practicing Texas superintendents AND EXPERTS who discuss course topics and current issues facing today’s superintendents, such as INSTRUCTIONAL LEADERSHIP, SUPERINTENDENT-BOARD RELATIONS, FINANCE, AND ADVOCACY.
As a Region 4 candidate, you will gain invaluable knowledge and contacts, with more than 200 clock hours of instruction. Your training includes content and topics such as district planning and decision-making, community and board relations, legal issues, school finance, and specific preparation for the Superintendent TExES exam.
Under the guidance of a mentor and your assigned field supervisor, you will also complete a minimum of 160 hours of field experience at an accredited school district, charter or private school. All Region 4 field supervisors are experienced, Texas-certified superintendents.
During your training, you will prepare for the TExES examination to obtain your Standard Superintendent Certificate.
Courses meet the needs of diverse learning styles. Should further accommodations be necessary for disabilities, please contact our offices at 713.744.6323 or email@example.com
. We will be happy to assist with the appropriate accommodation.
STEP 3: GET CERTIFIED
You’re almost there. Preparation sessions for the TExES Superintendent Exam are scheduled during the final three months of the program. After passing the TExES exam – in addition to successfully completing your training, internship and payment of all program fees – you will be recommended by Inspire Texas for the Standard Superintendent Certification.
More information is available online for TExES exam registration, preparation and test dates.