Teacher Quality Project
We are evolving to further improve the quality of our program. Following are some actions taken to surpass minimum requirements and better prepare the next generation of teachers in Texas:
- The acceptance process will require an online audition and either a minimum overall GPA of 2.75 or a standardized test score (GRE, SAT, or ACT) in the top half of the college-going population.
- To teach a single subject, all candidates must pass the corresponding TExES content test and have at least 30 semester credit hours (SCH) in the subject area.
- To teach multiple subjects in the sciences or social studies, all candidates must pass the corresponding TExES content test for each subject and have at least 50 total semester credit hours (SCH) across the sciences or at least 15 SCH in at least two teachable subject
- Teacher candidates ARE required to pass TExES exams prior to the internship.
- Prior to a candidate beginning a teaching practicum, 30 hours of field experience (classroom observations) must be submitted for verification. During the teaching practicum, a cooperating teacher will be assigned who is recommended by the campus principal and peers as both a capable adult mentor and an effective instructor.
- A minimum of six observations and ongoing mentor support are provided by a program supervisor. A minimum of five of those observations will be conducted during the first 12 weeks of instruction.